The goal of this session is to introduce learners to concepts around care of an adolescent male with perinatally-acquired HIV, so as to recognize contextual factors to best support these patients and promote their quality of life.
By the end of the module, the learner will be able to:
- Explain the psychosocial and biomedical impact of perinatally-acquired HIV
- Discuss strategies to address poor retention in care and adherence to ART in adolescents with HIV
- Demonstrate effective communication skills with an adolescent patient
- Describe strategies to address mental health and substance use and strategize to integrate this with HIV care
- Demonstrate how to refer a patient to a specialist for drug-resistant HIV (IPE)
Optimizing Team-Based Care to Achieve High Quality HIV Care
Central to this module, facilitators should prompt all learners to consider how they can deliver care that fosters optimized team-based care to ensure high quality HIV care. Consider how the case enables learners to gain greater competency in the following domains:
- Values and ethics: Work with individuals of other professions to maintain a climate of mutual respect and shared values.
- Roles/responsibilities: Use the knowledge of one’s own role and those of other professions to appropriately assess and address the health care needs of patients and to promote and advance the health of populations.
- Interprofessional Communication: Communicate with patients, families, communities, and professionals in health and other fields in a responsive and responsible manner that supports a team approach to the promotion and maintenance of health and the prevention and treatment of disease.
- Teams and Teamwork: Apply the values and principles of team dynamics to build relationships and perform effectively in different team roles to plan, deliver and evaluate person-centered care and population health programs and policies that are safe, timely, efficient, effective and equitable.
ART Anti-retroviral therapy
HIV Human Immunodeficiency Virus
HPV Human Papilloma Virus
KS Kaposi’s Sarcoma
PHQ Patient Health Questionnaire
SBAR Situation, Background, Assessment, Recommendation
TDF Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate