The goal of this session is to prepare learners to assess and manage
a woman newly diagnosed with HIV using a team-based approach.
By the end of the module, the learner will be able to:
- Identify barriers to and describe strategies to improve linkage to care for women newly diagnosed with HIV
- Recognize the psychosocial effects of a new HIV diagnosis
- List risk factors related to increased risk of HIV transmission
- Discuss appropriate antiretroviral therapy (ART) regimens for any adult
- Describe contraception options for women living with HIV
- Describe the appropriate clinical management and follow-up for (a) a newly diagnosed patient and (b) a stable patient with undetectable viral load (VL)
Optimizing Team-Based Care to Achieve High Quality HIV Care
Central to this module, learners should consider how they can learn to deliver care that fosters optimized team-based care to ensure high quality HIV care. As such, learners should apply themselves to the following questions:
- How does the content of this case enable me to work within a climate of mutual respect and shared values with other health professionals?
- How does a better understanding of my own role and those of the other professions enable me to address the needs of patients, including promoting better care for people with HIV?
- How does this case help me optimize communication with patients, families, communities and professionals in health and other fields in a responsive and responsible manner that supports a team-based approach to care?
- What strategies have I learned from this case that can ensure I participate effectively as a member of the health care team, recognizing the different team roles necessary to plan, deliver and evaluate patient/population-centered care, and ensure that patient care is safe, timely, efficient, effective and equitable?
CARG Community ART refill group
CATS Community Adolescent treatment supporters
CrAG Cryptococcal antigen
HBsAg Hepatitis B virus surface antigen
HIV PrEP HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis
IPE Interprofessional Education
GBV Gender-based violence
PEP Post-exposure prophylaxis
PMTCT Prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV
PWH People with HIV
RPR Reactive plasma reagin
TDF Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate
QI Quality improvement
SDG Sustainable Development Goals
U = U Undetectable = Untransmittable